Thursday, August 09, 2007

Austen's Growing Up!

It seems like Austen was just barely older than a baby at 5:00 this evening... 6:00 rolled around, and we walked into his new school for orientation, and suddenly, I am looking at a mini-grown-up. The elementary principal cautioned all the mothers to fortify themselves with tissues for the official first drop-off on Monday morning, and as my eyes watered just a little bit, my mini-grown-up boy reached his hand over, patted my knee, and said "it's okay to cry sometimes, Mommy."



There's a lot to be said by this one image... in the lower left hand corner, you can barely see Addison entertaining herself with her Dad's PDA... Austen looks bored (already!), and for those of you who've never seen it, that's my, I'm smiling so I won't cry face :) Next to me, is Austen's future wife, Alli... daughter of our dear friends from waaaaay back, Matt and Kristen! We haven't seen them in ages, so it was a relief to walk into a room full of strangers and find familiar and loved faces!

I'll be posting on Monday sometime after school starts... we'll fully document the process! Here's hoping Addison and I survive the upcoming seperation anxiety!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay this is too much for me tonight!! First him calling me and talking so long was precious! And now John & I sat down to look at Esta & Ricky and see this, I cried as I read it to John! Man I love that little boy and so glad he is going to a great school!!! I will be praying for you on Monday--I didn't have to face that until college--one of the benefits of home school! ha! love you all! He is great and will do fine, we all know, but...

Alison B. said...

oh man. norah starts "School" on tuesday so i am right there with you. hugs. we'll cry together on im.

amynave said...

How cute is Austen:) Ok, that's it, i'm going to cry too:(

Jen Stewart Photography said...

awwww, I remember when Brian started Kindergarten 2 years ago, I thought I was gonna loose it. And isn't is so cute when THEY comfort YOU?? Brian did the same thing.

I'll be praying for you on Monday, the first day is always hard, but it gets easier after that ;)


Brian starts 2nd grade in 2 weeks, and I will be putting Regan into kindergarten. :(

They grow up so fast......

Tim Co. said...

you know I remember this day too and I think I had a face like Austen's lol....I guess I turned out ok right ha!? It remains to be seen.

I'll be tuned in for the full documentation, anything Amber Holritz and children im all over!

Brianna said...

Awww...keep us posted because I just love lil Austen...I hope he enjoys himself!!

Anonymous said...

It just doesn't EVEN seem possible that it's time for him to be going to school!! Growing up so fast!

Tim Halberg said...

that's precious!!!

Anonymous said...

OK, the first sentence had me welling up a tad bit, the 2nd sentence put me over. And I'm the pro at this. HA! My oldest is going into 10th grade, though. My hard year will return year after next when I send my baby to Kindergarten and my oldest ot her senior year! That one may take its toll on me. My friend (and mom of Joey's Monday playdate) jokes about when we take them to school, she'll be having a tough time letting go, and I'll be walking out to my car cheering! That's funny. (Her first vs my 4th).
Can't wait to see how your day goes. School starts a week from Monday here. I'll have high school, middle school, 1st grade and still will have 1 at home.
God Bless!

Daniel J. Watkins said...

yeah Timco...it was only about 12 years ago for you, right? LOL